How to import the BEmuJava project into Eclipse and run it on the Bloomberg API Emulator?

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Hi there,

I downloaded the source code files from this link:
http://bemu.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest

and imported the BEmuJava project into Elicpse.

The problem is that there are 2 missing jar files in the project:
bemu-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar- C:\Users\jrobinson.FOREFRONT\Documents\eclipse\BEmu-maven\bemu\target (missing)

blpapi-3.6.1-0.jar- C:\Users\jrobinson.FOREFRONT\Documents\eclipse\BEmu-maven\bemu\src\main\java\com\bloomberglp (missing)

Could you please tell me how to fix it? Also, could you show me how to run the project on the Bloomberg API Emulator?

Thank you so much in advance! I'm really looking forward to hearing from you!
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2013 at 3:28 PM
danhnguyen,

Thank you for pointing this out to me. You've pointed out two problems I need to fix actually.

bemu-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar: This file is now included in the repo. I made the mistake of ignoring all *.jar files in the .gitignore file. I did this because I didn't want to distribute the Bloomberg API jar file. I updated my .gitignore file appropriately. I just committed a new version that applies these changes. You will now be able to find this file at BEmuJava/bemu/target.

blpapi-3.6.1-0.jar: I intentionally don't include this file because I don't want to distribute Bloomberg code. What I need to do is make it more explicit that the user needs to get this code from from the Bloomberg Open API website. I will update my documentation to make this more explicit.

Thank you again for your posting and feel free to ask me any other questions about this project.
Dec 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Thank you so much for such a quick response!

About my 2nd question above, could you show me how to run the project on the Bloomberg API Emulator? As for what I know, an emulator is a virtual device that we can test our programs on, like the one in Android, but right now I only see your project printing out these lines onto the console screen of Eclipse:
Bloomberg API Emulator Examples
http://bemu.codeplex.com/
By: Robinson664

To send a reference data request, push 1
To send a market data request, push 2
To send a historical data request, push 3
To send a intraday tick data request, push 4
To send a intraday bar data request, push 5
Could you please teach me how to run the project on an actual emulator?

I'm kinda new to this. It would be very helpful if you could do a tutorial which has some visual examples. It's fine if you don't have time to do it. I really appreciated your help! Thank you again!
Coordinator
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM
danhnguyen,

What you see there is right. My project doesn't emulate a machine in the way that a DOS emulator emulates the behavior of a computer running DOS. Instead, my project emulates the Bloomberg API software. What I've built is something that behaves the same way that the Bloomberg API behaves. The way you make requests and handle responses is the same as is the structure of the data. The difference being that the actual Bloomberg API returns actual data (provided you have the proper Bloomberg account). Maybe you think that my project emulates a Bloomberg terminal? It doesn't.

One way a programmer would use this emulator is to learn how to make Bloomberg API calls without needing to have a Bloomberg account. To do this in Java, a programmer would need a Java IDE, the Java runtime environment, and Git. This works on a Windows computer. (I haven't tried it on other operating systems.). It looks like you have everything required and you have it working fine.

Take a look at the code in com.Examples. The code you find here will likely be similar you would need to write for you own applications. The Examples show how to send requests for data using a few securities and one or more fields.

Have I answered your question? Let me know.
Dec 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Awesome! You're the best! It's now really clear for me to take a deeper step into the Bloomberg API.

Thank you so much for your help and your time! And thank you for such a hard work in this Bloomberg API Emulator.

Hopefully, I will be able to get more help from you in the future, if anything comes up.

Have a great weekend ^_^